The United Nations Association of the United States of America (UNA-USA) informs, inspires and mobilizes Americans to support the principles and vital work of the United Nations. UNA-USA’s grassroots membership includes over 200 chapters and more than 20,000 members nationwide who engage in public education and advocacy, promoting strong US-UN relations. UNA-USA is a program of the United Nations Foundation. UNA-USA and its sister organization the Better World Campaign represent the single largest network of advocates and supporters of the United Nations in the world.
The Associate, Chapter Engagement provides support for UNA-USA community chapters, campus chapters, and members-at-large. Critical elements of this position include chapter leader and volunteer leader assistance, reporting, managing administration for national engagement programs and serving as staff liaison for the Nominating Committee of UNA-USA National Council.
Chapter and Leader Support:
- Works with Associate, Membership and Events to ensure accurate information in customer management system to ensure accurate, current information, including leadership titles and roles. Meet with CRM database team to identify and correct any database issues.
- Responds daily to chapter leaders and serve as first point of contact for inquiries and assistance related to community and campus chapters
- Manages relevant groups within UNA Forum (UNA-USA online community platform) to share resources, best practices, and technical support for members and chapter leaders
- Ensures all chapter information, including officer updates, chapter landing page, social media handles, and other relevant information is up to date
- Oversees Chapter Annual Report process for both community and campus chapters, including promotion, collection, data analysis, and providing recommendations
- Provides preliminary information for individuals interested in forming UNA-USA chapters
- Administers and provides support for all chapter leader trainings, including the development/curation of resources, pulling reports, and technical assistance
- Administers and provides support for member engagement opportunities such as delegations to conferences or events including Commission on the Status of Women, Emerging Leaders Fellowship, Champions Program, Global Goals Ambassador Program, and other programs
- Provides technical support and oversees promotion of MyDiplomat for chapter utilization
- Oversees collection of best practices and examples of chapter activities
Community Chapters and Paid Members:
- Works with Associate, Membership and Events to ensure appropriate membership reports and quarterly cash reports
- Manages provisional status process to ensure chapter issues are addressed to resume compliance and strengthen chapters
- Assists with identification and implementation of outreach strategies to increase community chapters in target districts and states
- Assists with analysis of data and development of strategies to increase engagement of paid Members-at-Large
Campus Chapters and Youth Members
- Provides programmatic and training support for Campus Chapter Advisors
- Ensures campus chapter compliance
- Coordinates with college/university personnel to identify student leadership to launch UNA campus chapters
- Provide assistance to students and design resources and tools for campus chapter leaders to meet expectations from the national level
- Create project timelines and programs to integrate campus activities into UN/UNA milestones, including UN Day, Human Rights Day, International Women’s Day, etc.
- Oversees the Model UN strategy, including identification of prospective campus chapters, recruiting MUN alumni as UNA-USA members, and collaboration on future programs
- Serves as staff liaison for Nominations Committee of the UNA-USA National Council
- Coordinates regular follow-up with chapter leaders on outstanding operational items
- Performs related duties and/or tasks as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in a related field. Interest in international issues.
- One-three years professional experience.
- Proficiency in Microsoft products.
- Database management experience – Salesforce preferred.
- Strong organizational skills required.
- Strong ability to multi-task and work in fast-paced environment.
- Ability to use critical thinking and problem-solving.
- Ability to use discretion and independent judgment.
- Excellent verbal, written, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to exhibit appropriate professional conduct with different audiences and stakeholders.
- Ability to present information concisely and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work and manage one’s time effectively.
- Flexible and willing to respond to changing priorities and assignments as necessary.
- Some travel will be required.
- This is a DC based position.
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy.
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress.
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.